Alhamdulillah!
I'm sorry that I wasn't there to post as promised yesterday. That's why I'm tagging today's message as day 2 &3. I hope u would forgive me,please,forgive me. Now,let us go straight to the point...we shall be discussing our dress codes!
I won't bore you with jargons...let's go straight to the point.The Quran say:
"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss."-Q:24:31
Generally,Muslims' dress code are such that it does NOT appeal to others sexually.As Muslims,we are expected to maintain a middle course between not too much and too little. In the case of dress code,don't be too flashy or too dull...maintain the middle course! Now,let us go analyze the above verse.
Q:24:31 is about the most popular verse of all when it comes to Muslims' dress code.If you observe the verse,it says 'guide their modesty'that is,the sense of dressing decently MUST be established within your mind so as to ease the ability to dress Islamically.All those males mentioned in the verse are those that are permissible to see a woman without hijab (please note that male cousins are not mentioned hear...your shouldn't see you without your hijab coz you two can be married! ) ...NOT NAKED o! You are not allowed to see women naked...that is women in their under garments.
The main point in this verse as far as our subject matter is concerned is that it is COMPULSORY for all women to wear hijab! Without your hijab,your dressing is NOT complete. Considering the various types of hijabs,it is important to talk a little more on the women's dress codes.
Cape hijabs are okay ONLY if you are dressed in long garments with long sleeves like 'jalabia'...please,I'm not referring to the tight fitting jalabias girls are used to these days. I'm talking of the free flowing jalabias that shows no contours...you know what I'm talking about ba???Cape hijab is the smallest hijab around...it reaches the chest region.
The other two types are those that reaches the waist and usually cover the back side of women.The other is the Khimar...its the one that covers the whole body of a woman...from head to toe...oh! God knows I love it when I see women use it! In fact,I would recommend all women to have at least one at home. This is because irrespective of what you wear below it,the Khimar covers you effectively and make you fit for solat and possibly outings.
Should you be at home with your family in just a t-shirt and leggings or mini-skirt and you are busy...probably in the kitchen when someone comes knocking at your door,the Khimar comes handy in covering 'all those assets' from the view of your visitor. Outside these,the only other thing women should watch out for is that their dressing must not be like that of men.
In the case of men,as boyz,gold and silk is haram and nothing of your dressing should be borrowed from the women's dress codes...earings or skirts for instance are haram for Muslim men.You must always cover your body from your navel to your knees...and one more thing.Do not sag your trousers or allow them flow below your feet. It is haram!
As for my sisters that are still finding it difficult to be shari'ah compliant...I got the following for you...hope it would help!
Once, a girl bought an iPad.When her father saw it he asked, "What was the first thing you did when you bought it?" "I put an anti-scratch onthe screen and bought a cover for the iPad," she replied."Did someone force you to?" "No." "Don't you think it's an insult to the manufacturer??" "No dad, in fact they even recommend using a cover for the iPad." "Did you cover it because it was cheap and ugly?" "Actually, I covered it because I didn't want it to get damaged anddecrease in value." "When you put the cover on it didn't it reduce the iPad's beauty?" "I think it looks better, and its worth it for the protection it gives my iPad.The father looked lovingly at his daughter and said "...Hijab..."
Salaam!
Comments
Post a Comment